What a better way of starting my new journey with saying “Thank you” to all of you for being here?
“Thank you” a very simple, but meaningful phrase. We use it every day and hopefully multiple times a day and with everyone we come in contact with. Have you ever thought about the effects that this commonly used phrase can have in our everyday life? No worries, if you haven’t.
Saying “thank you” is a simple act of gratitude. Studies have shown that gratitude has various positive effects on our physical health, psychological well being and social interactions with others. Here are just a few things that being grateful can help us with:
- Better sleep quality
- Taking better care of ourselves
- More optimism and happiness
- More alert, alive and awake
- More helpful and generous
- More forgiving
As human beings, our brains have been wired to always be in search of more and better things. We want to have bigger homes, nicer cars, better furniture, better job, etc. Don’t take me wrong, I am not saying there is anything wrong with wanting better stuff. In fact, in most cases, searching for better things have helped many of us to grow and become more successful. The danger of not being content will start, when we get so involved with wanting more, that we forget to be grateful for the things that we have right now. It becomes dangerous, when we dive so deep into our desires, that we forget about other people around us.
Frankly, it is easy to be grateful, when everything is going smoothly and nothing is to be worried about. The hard part, the part that we, including myself, need to practice more, is to be grateful when things are not going as we desire. How can we be grateful, during the tough times? Here is what I have done and had a great success with:
- First thing in the morning, when my feet touch the ground and I am able to stand up straight, I say “Thank you”, there are people, who wish to be able to walk.
- As I am brushing my teeth and washing my face, I say “Thank you”. There are people in the world that have no access to water or any hygiene products
- As I am drinking my coffee, I say “Thank you” twice :), I love my coffee. There are so many people in the world that don’t even have access to drinking water.
- As I kiss my baby and say good morning to her, I say “Thank you “, nothing is more valuable to a parent than having a happy and healthy child.
- At night when I am settling down to go to bed, I say “Thank you” for having a roof over my head and a super comfortable bed.
These are just a few of the things that I am grateful for. I just wanted to give you an idea of how easy it is to become grateful, you do not need to have a mansion or top of the line car to be grateful. It is sure nice to have them, but you should not wait till you buy your mansion or a nice car to start being grateful.
Okay, here is your homework. Write down in the comments below five things that you are grateful for. Actually, starting now, for a week, take a few minutes at the beginning and end of each day and take note of 5 things that you are grateful for. At the end of the week, write a comment below with the top 5 things that you are grateful for and your feeling.
Looking forward to your comments.
Stay happy and healthy