“What should I make for dinner? I can make baked chicken, but wait, I am out of chicken breast. Let’s make a rice dish, oh no, I forgot to pick up rice at the grocery store. Oh well, let’s just order a pizza.”
Does this sound familiar?
This was me before, but now I take 4 simple steps, once a week, and we have healthy meals ready in, usually, less than 30 minutes every night.
4 easy steps to having home cooked meals all week:
When it comes to eating healthy, you need to plan, plan and even more plan. So the key word is to plan :). Here are 4 easy steps that you can take to make sure your plan is complete:
- Make a healthy food menu for the week. If you have picky eaters at home, make sure to involve them in your planning process.
- Make your grocery list based on your menu. It might seem too time consuming, but believe me it will save you so much time and extra trips to the grocery store at the end.
- Go Grocery shopping
- Meal prep. This is the step that will save you so much time and hassle during the week, that you will actually enjoy cooking a healthy meal.
What do I mean by meal prepping?
Meal prepping can be very easy, Infact next week, when I am meal prepping, I can take a video and share it with you guys :), but for now here are a few steps to take:
- Divide your meat/ fish/ or poultry into the right portion size for your menu and put in the fridge or refrigerator
- Wash all your veggies, except mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes (these are the only veggies that I use in my recipes that cannot be washed a head)
- Prep your veggies the way that you need for your meals. For example, if your recipe calls for chopped parsley and dill, then chop them and store them in the fridge. Or if you need diced bell peppers, dice them and put them in the fridge.
This will take you no more than a couple of hours in one day, and the payoff is that you can have delicious, home cooked, healthy, unprocessed meals within less than 10 prep minutes each day. Note that I said prep minutes, because cook time can differ from meal to meal. When it is time to cook your actual meal, all you have to do is to follow your recipe and put all your ingredients in a pot and let them cook. Isn’t that easy?
On my future posts, I will try to show you how I take advantage of this method.
Stay happy and healthy