Supplication to God at morn and eve is conducive to the joy of hearts, and prayer causes spirituality and fragrance. Thou shouldst necessarily continue therein. (‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Tablets of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá v1, p. 185-186)
One of the very important steps towards happiness is meditation and prayer. Why? Because There are two aspects of happiness, Physical happiness and spiritual happiness. Yes, it is very important to take care of your health and your body, to physically get to your goals and dreams, but you will not be truly happy until you take care of your spirit as well. You might think what does spiritual happiness have to do with prayer? Prayer is what fuels your spirit. Exactly like how food fuels your body. As you fuel your body with the right kind of food, prayer should be done right to fully fuel your spirit. Therefore, I have summarized 4 rules that I believe everyone should follow in order to get to the true spiritual happiness by praying. Please note these are all based on my personal beliefs and understanding and what has worked for me.
- Pray every day-as humans we tend to pray, just in times of difficulties or when we are in need of something desperately. This is completely fine, but in order to give our spirit all the nutrition that it needs, we need to make a habit of praying and meditating every day and in all situations, not only when we need something. In fact the best prayers of all are when we pray just for the love of God, not because we are asking for something.
- Keep our heart and mind open to the guidance. When we pray, we usually tend to ask for specific things. For instance, we pray to land a Job that we think is perfect for us, and if we don’t get it, we get discouraged and give up on praying. The right way of praying is not to ask for anything. The only thing that we should really be asking in our prayer is guidance, and if we keep our heart and mind open we will get the answer to our prayers.
- Pray for others. How do you feel after helping a friend, or neighbor without asking for anything in return, happy, right. Now imagine how praying for someone else, without them asking you, can make your spirit feel? I think pure joy.
- The spirit in which we say our prayers is more important than how long the prayer is. We do not need to read a whole holly book in order to get the spiritual happiness. What is more important is that prayers should be joyful and uplifting.“The most acceptable prayer is the one offered with the utmost spirituality and radiance; its prolongation hath not been and is not beloved by God. The more detached and the purer the prayer, the more acceptable is it in the presence of God.” – The Bab, Selections from the Writings of the Bab, p. 77
- Prayer fuel our soul.
- We cannot achieve the true happiness without spiritual happiness.
- Prayers must be said at all times and under all conditions, not only when we are in need of assistance.
- Keep an open mind and heart when praying, and you will find your prayers answered.
- Prayers should be joyful and uplifting.
Stay Happy and Healthy