Today I had a conversation with a friend and he was complaining about his bad luck and how he has not been so lucky lately. Is this really true? What is luck? Are we borne with bad luck or good luck? Do we have control over our “luck”?
Dictionary definition of luck is, “an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another.” According to this definition, the event has to be unknown and unpredictable. Here are some of the unpredictable events that I can think of: death, accident, bankruptcy, divorce, getting laid off, winning a lottery, etc. Let’s take a closer look at each one, are they 100% unpredictable and completely out of our hand? I believe the answer is “No”, even though they are hard to predict, but we have control over the outcome. So how can we control or change our luck?
- Improve your odds– educate yourself about the unpredictable things that can happen in your life and how you can change the likelihood of those events happening to you. Here are some examples to explain how we can improve our odds:
- Suzzy’s parents both passed away from heart disease related to high cholesterol, Suzzy can improve her odds of dying at an early age by watching her diet and avoiding foods high in cholesterol, instead of blaming her luck to be born in a family with a history of high cholesterol.
- Bubby lives in a very busy city that has the highest accident rating in the country. Bobby can improve his odds of dying in an accident by making sure he has a safe vehicle and pays extra attention while driving, assuming that he does not have the option to move to another city.
- Laila suspects that her boss is not happy with her performance, but she fails to do anything to improve her performance or talk to her boss regarding the issue, so she gets laid off. Laila could improve her odds, by talking to her boss and asking for advice on how to improve her performance. Her boss could of giving her a second chance.
These were just a few simple examples to clarify my point.
- Have a positive mind– tell yourself that you can and you will be successful and imagine the success. If you are going to start a new workout routine see yourself getting through each and every workout proudly. If you are going for a job interview, imagine yourself answering calmly to every question. If you are trying to eat healthier, imagine yourself enjoying and bragging about your healthy meals. The way you think about the outcome has a major effect on your result.
- Be flexible– life will happen and you will get distracted from your goal and you might even fall behind, but don’t interpret that as bad luck. See the set backs as a signal that you need to change direction or tweak your goal. Always leave some wiggle room in your plans so little issues or distraction would not throw your plans completely off.
- Look around and see all the good lucks and blessings– it is awesome to spend time with people smarter and more successful than you and have a mentor, but once in a while try spending time with those that are not as fortunate as you are. Spending time and helping those in need, will help you realize the blessings that you have in your life.
- Be prepared to work hard– if you want to be lucky, you have to work hard. Nothing worth having comes with ease. If you look at the majority of the successful people, they did not get to where they are today over night. They worked and struggled hard day and night. True success comes with dedication and hard work, but make sure you are smart about it.
There you have it. This is why I believe that you make your own luck and “bad luck” is just an excuse.
After our conversation my friend left with a plan on how to improve his luck with a better plan, a plan that will leave some room for mistakes, set back and distractions that will be viewed as lessons learned. He will change his mindset and think of all the positive outcomes that his plans will have, rather than telling himself that he is not worthy of that or he is unable to achieve the result that he has been looking for. He will look around and be grateful for all the things that he already has and not be prepared to work hard and smart.
Hope you can plug in your issue in this formula and change your own luck!
Feel free to let me know your thoughts.
Stay happy and healthy