My mom always told us to “eat your carrots, they make you smarter”. That statement might not be completely true, but it can be true. It has been proven and you all know that Carrots help to improve your eyesight due to their high concentration of Beta-carotene and leutein. Let’s go back to my mom’s claim, during my childhood we did not have computers or recorders and teachers would write on the blackboard and we would take notes from there. The better your notes, the better your grades. The better you could see, the better your notes. Therefore, the better you could see the better your grades were, hence you would be called the smart kid. So my mom was not wrong. In fact, moms are never wrong 🙂
Carrots and carrot juice have far more health benefits, than just improving your eyesight. They are very high in antioxidants. The antioxidants present in Carrots and Carrot juice include: vitamin C, beta carotene (which gets converted to Vitamin A once ingested), lycopene, lutein, and zeaxanthin.
- One study showed the improvement of Lymphocyte DNA damage in Smokers who consumed Carrot juice for 8 weeks. This can be due to high levels of antioxidant in Carrot juice.
- Another study concluded that drinking fresh carrot juice can help the cardiovascular system by increasing the total antioxidant status, after 90 days.
- Also the daily consumption of carrot juice has been shown to increase plasma total carotenoids and therefore reduce oxidative stress which in turn (according to another study) can reduce the likelihood of Cancer and other age related disorders.
We all know by now the importance of antioxidants in our diet. Beta Carotene, presented in abundance in Carrots, help the liver with detoxing the fat soluble toxins. To learn more about the body’s detox process, please visit, “Amazing health benefits of Beets/ detox recipe”
To maximize the benefits of Carrot juice, I have mixed it with fresh ginger juice and fresh Turmeric juice and created a supper detoxing drink, that you can enjoy once a day, every day. Please make sure to consult with your health care provider, if you have any health conditions or taking any medications.
To read about the health benefits of Ginger and turmeric please visit “5 proven health benefits of Ginger and Turmeric“.
Please note, moderation is the key. Too much of a good thing can be bad and damaging to your body, no matter how nutritious that food is.
Here is the recipe to make your own Carrot detox drink.
How to make a Carrot detox drink:
- 1 cup fresh carrot juice
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh Ginger juice (about 4 OZ)
- 1 Tbsp fresh Turmeric juice (About 1 OZ)
- Pinch of black pepper
Important Note: use fresh carrot juice only, Vitamin A, C and E are all sensitive to air, which means the longer your carrot juice sits, the less of these vitamins in your juice. So try to juice your carrots and consume them right away.
Mix all the ingredients and enjoy. Please note you can add a few ice cubes or leave your juice in the fridge for an hour, if you like it chilled.
Video coming soon
Stay happy and healthy