Arrowroot is the starch obtained from the rhizomes of Maranta Arundinacea, a tropical American perennial herb. Arrowroot has been used for its many useful properties such as healing wounds, soothing the digestive system and more commonly as a healthy thickener.
Below are some proven health benefits of arrowroot:
1. Helps digestive system:
Arrowroot was shown to help relieve diarrhea and constipation in patients with irritable bowl syndrome (IBS). It also helped with reduction in abdominal pain.
2. Helps improving immune Function:
A 2012 study has shown that Arrowroot can help with boosting immune cells.
3. Helps with fighting food borne pathogens:
Research has shown that Arrowroot can help with reducing the amount of pathogens in different kind of foods specially liquid foods such as soups.
What a better way to enjoy this nutritious starch/ powder than using it in a pizza crust that is gluten and grain free?????
Arrowroot is not the only healthy ingredient in this recipe. This recipe calls for Almond flour, which is a good source of vitamin E, fiber ad has many more health benefits. Coconut flour is also another healthy source of fiber, protein and healthy fats.
Here is what you need:
- Almond flour: 1/2 cup
- Arrowroot starch: 3/4 cup
- Coconut flour: 6 Tbsp. Divided
- Onion powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- Garlic powder: 1/2 Tsp.
- Dried Basil: 1/2 Tsp.
- Oregano: 1/2 Tsp.
- Sea salt: 3/4 Tsp.
- Warm water: 1/3 Cup
- Extra virgin olive oil: 1/3 cup
- Apple cider vinegar: 1 Tbsp.
- Pasture raised eggs: 1 whisked
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- In a medium size bowl, mix together Almond flour, arrowroot starch, 3 Tbsp of coconut flour, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, oregano, and salt and set aside
- In a separate bowl, mix together warm water, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar
- Add water, oil and vinegar mixture to your dry ingredients and mix well
- Add egg whisked separately to your dough and mix
- Slowly add another 3 Tbsp of coconut flour and mix well
- Line a pizza dish or a baking dish with parchment paper
- Spread the dough evenly on parchment paper
- Bake for 10-15 minutes
- Add your favorite toppings and return to oven to bake according to your toppings
For a visual aid, watch the video below:
Stay happy and healthy